FW: XFree86 Port (Message from XFree86/OS2 developer)

Earnie Boyd earnie_boyd@yahoo.com
Mon Jul 26 15:14:00 GMT 1999

--- "Suhaib M. Siddiqi" <Ssiddiqi@InspirePharm.Com> wrote:
> This is for users, may be you will find it informative.
> Xterm, xdm etc are the issue because Cygwin support TTY.
>
> After spending a couple hours on Internet I found 3 freeware drivers
> for Windows which do I/O, and memory maping what he is describing in his
> message
> as a must for XFree86 server to run.
>
> Suhaib
>

> > Hi,
> > Compiling the stuff with Cygnus GNU or even better with EMX and RSX, is
> > as you correctly found out, not the real problem with the port.
> > XF86SUP.SYS is the essential part of the port. This is not only the
> > mentioned fastio and pmap devices, but also (for xconsole and xterm) a
> > rather complete Unix TTY/PTY/Console emulation. If you neglect xterm,
> > xdm and xconsole for a while, infact your showstoppers are fastio and
> > pmap.
> > To explain what they do:
> > pmap allows to map arbitrary physical memory into the X server's address
> > space. I don't know cygwin enough to know whether there is a working
> > mmap/munmap Unix call available, if so, it must be capable of accessing

Both of these call are supported by the cygwin library.

===
Earnie Boyd < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >

Newbies, please visit
< http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >

(If you respond to the list, then please don't cc me)