DirectX/X-server

Suhaib M. Siddiqi ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com
Thu Jun 17 18:12:00 GMT 1999

Just to keep everyone in loop.  It turns out that XGGI/GGI/XFree86
mixture is not going to work under Windows without writing a
DirectX target for GGI.

There is nothing wrong with XGGI X-server binaries.  The XGGI requires
Xlib and another target like svga, aa or fbdev to function as stand alone
X-server.  Since windows has no aa, svga or fbdev libraries therefore
XGGI cannot communicate with GGI properly.  Xlib only is not enough.
According to Marcus Sundberg, author of GGI code for Linux, our XGGI
can be used as another X-server running on top of an X-server. Which
was disappointing because we do not need a commercial x-server to run our x-server :-(.  As Chris Faylor suggested, so does Marcus too, we
need a DirectX target to have XGGI commmunicate with Windows.

Good news is we have GGI ported to Cygwin and hooked to
XFree libs under Cygwin and XGGI works too, but not as standalone server under Windows.  All we need a DirectX target for GGI so XGGI can communicate with Windows.

John Fortin and I are seriously looking into DirectX target for GGI to
complete the X-server.  Anyone who has some experience with
DirectX/DirectDraw and is willing to help, would be highly appreciated.
You can look at the GGI code and binaries at ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/xfree .  Look particularly
at libggi/display/glide and other code in display directory.  All we need
something like this a grraphics.c input.c, init.c and visual.c targeting GGI.

Suhaib