Running remote window manager

Timothy J. Massey tmassey@modernmerchant.com
Tue Dec 5 21:00:00 GMT 2000

Hello!

In the Remote X Apps mini-HOWTO, it states that it is possible to run a
remote window manager.  ( http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/xauth-8.html )
Now *that* is something I want to do:  My Linux box's GNOME desktop on
my NT machine?  That's cool...

I have a problem, though.  The only way that I can figure out to run
xhost is from within the xterm spawned when the X server is started.  I
can't run xterm without a window manager, though (can I?), and seeing
as you can't have more than one window manager, if I start the NT
window manager, I can't run GNOME remotely.  A seeming catch-22.

Is there a way to run xhost from anywhere outside of the xterm?  I've
tried starting it from the bash shell of Cygwin, but that doesn't work.
 Even when I'm in the /usr/X11R6/bin directory (where I can confirm
that xhost.exe is located), when I type xhost (or xhost.exe) it tells
me command not found.

How can I get around this?

Thank you once again for your help.  If you have any suggestions on
things I can read so as not to bug you guys I would gladly do it.

Tim Massey