Test 7 and xdpyinfo

Harold Hunt Harold@compasstechnologies.com
Wed Dec 6 10:25:00 GMT 2000

Test 7, if I remember correctly, ignores any screen bit depth parameter;
however, you still have to have a number in the place where bit depth would
go, otherwise the parsing of the command-line parameters will fail.

>How to force Xwin in test7 to be 8 colors depth ?

Set Windows to run at 8 bits... then Test 7 will run at 8 bits; Test 7
doesn't change the video mode, it uses the current video mode.

>Did you solve the xmodmap problem in Test 7.
I haven't touched the keyboard code since I first wrote it... I'll have to
come back to the keyboard code when I get the non-framebuffer server done,
as the new server uses the same input code.  I don't expect the
non-framebuffer server to be done any sooner than three to six months from
now.

I would like to learn more about international keyboard support; in order to
do that I need someone that is bilingual and that has some non-English
keyboards.  I nominate you to help me... no that I've got a helper, I have a
few questions :)

1) Are the accent keys that you mentioned on their own key
	caps or do they share a keycap and get accessed
	through a modifier key (such as Shift, Alt, Ctrl, etc.)?
2) Where are the accent keys located on the keyboard?
3) Can you send me a picture of your keyboard, or point me
	to a picture that I can access online?
4) What input locale do you have Windows set to?
5) What are the names of the keys that do not work?  See,
	I can't really help until I know what key name I'm
	looking to fix :)
6) Have you looked at the source for Test 7?  Particulary,
	winkeymap.h?  It is quite easy to follow and has
	tips embedded in the comments...
7) Do you have a French language Visual C++ or MS Platform
	SDK installed?  If so, please send me your WinUser.h
	header file.

I'm interested in learning the issues related to supporting non-English
keyboards, but I have to be honest that right now I am deeply involved in
coding the output of the non-framebuffer server; I will attempt to search
for a quick fix for you, but I cannot, at this time, engineer a generalized
international keyboard support system if that's what ends up being required.

I will gladly help you if you decide to look into the problem on your own.

Good luck, and thanks for your interest in the project,