Xwin and .bashrc, French Keyboard, dot Directories

Bernard Revet bmrevet@igr.fr
Thu Dec 21 02:21:00 GMT 2000

Dear Pierre, Dear Cygwinnies.

Thank you for your indications. You are totally correct. I was not aware of this subtil
trick , as it is most of the time taken in the architecture of the starting programs in
Unix, Linux systems.
If by any chance you know how to have a program started at a new session I would
appreciate. For instance lets assume that I want to adapt my keyboard. At the present
time I added this line to my startxwin.bat
start mxterm -e /bin/bash xmodm.
xmodm is a shell file
the beginning being

#!/bin/sh
xmodmap -e "keycode   8 = "
xmodmap -e "keycode   9 = Escape "
xmodmap -e "keycode  10 = ampersand 1 "
xmodmap -e "keycode  11 = asciitilde 2 "
xmodmap -e "keycode  12 = quotedbl 3 "
xmodmap -e "keycode  13 = apostrophe 4 "
xmodmap -e "keycode  14 = parenleft 5 "
xmodmap -e "keycode  15 = minus 6 "

This is not very elegant but works except that due to speed I got sometimes the
indication that xmodmap cannot find the 127.0.0:0 and it takes some time to have the
whole file executed.  I got then a kind of french keyboard with most of the important
keys

I did not succeed to have dot Directories in the Home directory. MS Windows does not
accept this writing .
This writing is required by many UNIX, Linux programs. How is it possible to circumvent
this ?

Best regards
Yours
Bernard