Linux-ish X Desktop

Suhaib M. Siddiqi ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com
Sun Jul 23 18:07:00 GMT 2000

OK, The binaries and sources are in:

ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/xfree/contrib

xfce-3.4.4-cygwin.tar.bz2 (precompiled X-desktop binaries for Cygwin-XFree)
xfce-3.4.4.tar.bz2 (sources).

Below is what you need to do to get it working.  The X-Desktop
would completely cover the Win32 desktop with some like a Linux desktops.
You can switch back and forth between X-desktop and Win32 using
Alt+tab keys  (Alt+tab is slightly buggy, so do not use it too often).
This meant to provide you pretty desktop while you are accessing
remote X applications.

Suhaib

CYGWIN INSTALL:
================
1) You will need XFree86 4.0.1 from
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/cygwin/xfree

2) Install XFree 86 4.0.1 in /usr/X11R6

3) You will Cygwin 1.1.3 (cygwin1.dll)  from July 17th or July 19th Cygwin
snapshot.

4) You will need latest pthread.dll from
 http://sources.redhat.com/pthread-win32and pthread.dll should be in your
PATH.

5) Install XFCE in /usr/X11R6.  Backup your original startxwin.bat file
if you have a customized one before installing XFCE.
Use startxwin.bat supplied with XFCE to start X server and X-desktop.