Now a XFree86 4.0 based X-server

Suhaib Siddiqi ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com
Tue Jun 6 04:31:00 GMT 2000

Hi

> Congratulations.

Thanks

> After the initial work on the DX-Server, I was unable to work on it again.
> It is nice to see a server, that too stable released.
>
> I have the few comments to be made on 16/24bpp mode in X-Server.
>
> 1. There is no pseudo-color mode supported for this color depths by DX. We
> need to use TrueColor.
> 2. The RGB values are stored in reverse order.
>
> With both these modifications 16/24bpp should be up in the
> server.

Actually 16/24bpp mode works.  It gives a red/green frame around xterm
windows and all the test typed into xterm had red/green borders around it.

I could not get your original code working as a usuable X-servers.  Nothing
could be displayed.  On pressing alt+tab or alt+esc keys, server crashed.
Attempts to display anything, even a simple xclock and xterm crashed the
x-server with "Surface lock failed" or aACCESS_VIOLATION messages.
For MSVC compiled DirectX based
X-server, I added the code from Microsoft DirecX 7.x SDK Helper library.
For Cygwin compiled x-server Peter literally rewrote most of your code.
He discovered, for cygwin, the DirectX 6.1 SDK port for Cygwin, was
responsible for Display problems.  He came up with an innovative idea of
writing
a xf_dx.dll which would dynamically load DirectX DLLs, at run-time.  This
allowed us to avoid
using DirectX 6.1 SDK for Cygwin.

I need to clean up the source tree.  Afterward, I will update the
Cygwin/XFree CVS, then you could checkout only xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xwin
directory, instead of downloading big archives.

Regards
Suhaib