Installing cygwin/xfree : it works ! ( almost )

Suhaib Siddiqi ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com
Wed Jun 28 13:59:00 GMT 2000

  Hello Suhaib, and others who helped me! My work
  is in progress but I have still some questions.

  I have completely removed my old cygwinb20 built
  with a full.exe file on April and I have re-installed a full cygwin version on
  June 27 using setup.exe from the latest directory at sunsite.org.uk. Then I
  got the latest binaries of XGGI, GGI libs, X11R6.4 and xfree86-40-fonts, but
  maybe I would need some other files ? I installed X11R6.4 and the fonts on
  /usr/X11R6, GGI libs on /usr/local and XGGI.exe in
/usr/X11R6/bin.

  I used localhost:0.0 as DISPLAY,
  GGI_DEFMODE=800x600[GT_32BIT] and finally XGGI -targets directx gives the
  GGI-on-DX window and I can run X clients such as xclock, xterm, xsetroot and
  the window manager twm (thanks to everybody who helped me), but still with
  some problems :

  1. error opening security policy file
  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy when GGI-on-DX window starts. I
  can't find anywhere the xserver directory or the SecurityPolicy file in the
  downloaded files, so where is it ?

  This is a
  waring and should not affect performance.  However you can create a
  directory /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xservers and copy SecurityPolicy
  it from a
  Linux machine if you do not want to see this
  warning.

  2. xsetroot works only if there is another
  Xclient running (not really a problem).

  Try seting $HOME.

  3. xterm works but sends some warnings and one
  error :

  Warning : locale not supported by C library,
  locale unchanged
  Warning : locale not supported by Xlib, locale
  set to C
  Warning : X locale modifiers not supported, using
  default
  Failed to open input method

  Get the Xclients from xc-4-binaries.  That was a bug Xlib
  in older versions.

  I can type in the xterm window, but it is in
  qwerty mode although I have a french azerty keyboard! How can I convert xterm
  to a french keymap ?

  4. The most important problem comes when
  running the window manager twm : the already running X clients windows (which
  are all at the upper left side of the GGI-on-DX window) are modified when twm
  starts and each window has the focus when the X cursor comes above it, but I
  can't move or resize any window. If I start a new X client while twm is
  running, I drag the borders of the new window under the X cursor but I can't
  fix the position by clicking on the buttons. It seems that twm does not catch
  the button press events! (I am using a touch-pad with 2 buttons, not a
  mouse)

  Try other WM like vwtm from contrib
  directory.

  Use Xmode to create .Xmode file or copy it froma  Linux box
  and do a set xmodmap to that file at the
  X-startup.
  I posted about it when Xwin was released.  Check mail
  archives.

  5. How can I shutdown X11 in a clean manner
  ? Actually, I can close xterms with CTRL D, but I kill the remaining processes
  and XGGI in the BASH window. Efficient, but not clean!

  I think there is no clean mothd for now and GGI work had beend
  iscontinued due to John Fortin leaving the
  project.

  Finally, I would say that you really did a great
  job in porting X11 on Cygwin. Although I have still some problems, this seems
  to be exactly what I was looking for. I will wait for your help on the mailing
  list.

  Best regards,

  Richard Grenon 40 Avenue de la Division Leclerc 92320 Châtillon -
  France e-mail : Richard.GRENON@wanadoo.fr