Errors when starting X with cygwin

Harold Hunt Harold@compasstechnologies.com
Mon Nov 6 08:45:00 GMT 2000

You can ignore most of those errors, we all get them.

Telnet fails because you are (inadvertantly) running Microsoft's telnet, as
it appears in your path before the Cygwin telnet.

Run telnet using '/usr/bin/telnet'.

Harold

-----Original Message-----
From: Wilson, Dan [ mailto:dan.wilson@anchorgaming.com ]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2000 11:33 AM
To: 'cygwin-xfree@sources.redhat.com'
Subject: Errors when starting X with cygwin

Hi,

I installed the latest version of Cygwin and the compiled binaries for
XFree86 from
the Cygwin web site.  I am running Windows 2000 pro and The Cygwin
installation
seems to work well.  I have compiles several c++ programs without problems.

When I  start x using the startxwin.bat file after fixing the path, xfree86
starts and
runs.  If I switch back to the Windows 2000 desktop, I see 3 dos windows
running
that look like they associated to x.

One is XWin.exe and shows the startup sequence.  The only errors in this
window
are there doesn't seem to be a security policy.  I'm not sure how to create
a security
policy file.

The next dos window is for vtwm.exe and shows nothing in the window.

The last window is for xterm.exe.  The following errors are in this window:
Warning: locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
Warning: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Warning: X locale modifiers not supported, using default
Failed to open input method

My installation directory is d:\cygwin.  I have mounted d:\ as /mnt/d and
have
mounted nothing else.

Please let me know if there is something else I need to configure.  I am
having
problems with other x apps as well.  I don't seem to be able to run telnet,
without
getting a signal 127.

Thanks for your response,
Dan Wilson