Development To-Do Proposal

Harold Hunt Harold@compasstechnologies.com
Tue Oct 3 08:34:00 GMT 2000

I think the Cygwin/XFree86 project needs to develop a short-term to do list.
I propose the following to-do list, which includes ideas seen in the mailing
list and on our website.  This is just a proposal, feel free to suggest
modifications or ignore the list altogether :)

1) Produce a Programmer's Guide (give a little direction to new X
developers)
2) Document XFCE installation (doesn't seem to be working for some people,
myself included)
3) Modify our X/Server to use Windows 9X compatible graphics calls (GDI, or
brief locking DirectDraw)
4) Query the Win32 API for configuration information such as key mappings
and display settings
5) Ensure International compatibility
6) Check into X application bugs that seem specific to Cygwin/XFree86 (arrow
keys not working in some apps, etc.)
7) Tell the world about Cygwin/XFree86 (and watch the bug reports and
feature requests pour in :)

I'm working on task 1, the Programmer's Guide, and I'm reading information
on task 3, making our X/Server Windows 9X compatible
(xc/doc/hardcopy/Xserver/ddx.PS.gz).  Task 2 can be done at any time, by
anyone.  Tasks 4 through 7 are pretty dependent upon task 3, so we should
probably hold off on them until 3 is near completion.

Please voice you insights on task 3 if you have any,