binmode install of xc binaries tarballs

Frederic Oghdayan Foghdayan@catena.nl
Sun Apr 1 00:00:00 GMT 2001

Hi ,

  I had problems to even figure what could be wrong when I saw this windows dialog box popup with "Xwin application did not initialize properly". It took me quite some time before I remembered about this binmode/textmode mounts. I wrote the attached so that a can remember the trick later, for you to review and maybe use in a FAQ. This *is* a frequently asked one, because I asked it to myself maybe a hundred times these last days, when strace would not help anymore than taskman.

Here are a few questions besides Xfree:
- how can I get the login program to work , under netware + NT4 ? It fails even in local mode. Does it have to be started before the winlogon ?
-  (maybe offtopic) how to follow symlinks from a drive mounted by ext2fs.sys ?  This driver from ext2fsnt-0.4 doesn t resolve the links itself.
- do you know a trick to use the DragnDrop filename from the explorer ? Stg quicker than using cygpath -u and prepend+append it with a single quote.