[ANNOUNCEMENT] The Win32 (Visual C compiled) Server

Suhaib Siddiqi ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com
Sun Apr 1 00:00:00 GMT 2001

Finally there is a stable FIRST edition of a WIN32-X11 server is available
at http://sources.redhat.com/win32-x11 .

NOTE: This is the first time and last time I am cc'ing message to
Cygwin/Xfree list because I do not know
how many have subscribed to win32-x11 list and how many of you are aware of
a MSVC project for
X11.  Future mails/posts concerning this project will be posted only to
win32-x11 list at
http://sources.redhat.com/win32-x11 .

The server is stable, although it needs much more work.  I might release the
next version within
a couple of weeks which would have more extensions built in.

I need to clean up the source code.  At present I build the xc directory in
bit and pieces to get X-server compiled.
Imakefiles needs a lot of patching which would allow "nmake World.Win32" to
build the entire X11R6.5.11 tree with
Win32 X-server, using MSVC 6.x.  I will most probably upload the clean code
base to CVS repository of win32-x11
this weekend.

Download win32-x11.tar.bz2 from the same server you downloaded this archive.

1)Unpack win32-x11.tar.bz2 into \XWIN32

2) Delete XWin.exe and startx.bat from XWin32\bin

3) Put XWin32.exe and startx.bat from this archive into \XWIn32\bin

4) From a DOS shell type startx

THINGS TO-DO:
============

1) Build all the most common extension.  At present server supports only
SHAPE extension

2) Build SGI GLX extension.

3) Clean up code of SGI GLU library from SGI OpenGL SI
( http://oss.sgi.com/projects )
   so it compiles with MSVC (Visual C++). SGI GL library compile. ANYONE
WILLING TO
   HELP CLEAN UP SGI GLU code for MSVC?

4) Far fetched plan - no where close to reality at the moment unless I have
some serious
   contributors - Implement a Windows manager to integrate X into Win32
Desktop for multi-windowing.

THIS SERVER DOES NOT USE ANY CODE FROM XFREE86.  IT IS A PURE X11R6.5.11
BASED FROM
X.ORG. NONE OF THE EXECUTABLE OR LIBRARY USE CYGWIN1.DLL THEREFORE NO XTERM,
XDM
AND LBX (LIBPROXY).

Suhaib