[ANNOUNCEMENT] New startup-scripts.tgz

Harold Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Wed Aug 1 10:44:00 GMT 2001

I just posted a new startup-scripts.tgz to the mirror network.  It should
start appearing on mirrors within 24 hours, but I have also posted it to my
website for those that do not want to wait:
http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/startup-scripts.tgz (2 KB)

Changes
1) Added comments to explain what is going on.
2) Added a simple method of determining whether or not to use the
	/B switch.  The new method assumes that the /B switch cannot
	be used by default, and only allows its use if the %OS%
	environment variable is set to "Windows_NT".  In all other
	cases the batch file will not use the /B switch.  Thus,
	there may be a few users on Windows NT/2000 that the batch file
	misdetects as not supporting /B, but at least there won't
	be any Windows 95/98/Me users that are incorrectly
	detected as Windows NT/2000.
3) Removed start commands for optional components (mxterm, vtwm, etc.)
4) Added /usr/X11R6/bin to $PATH in startxwin.sh
5) Copied the line to set the background color from startxwin.sh
	to startxwin.bat; added the comment, "Set a background color to
	comply with FCC regulations :)", just for Brian Genisio.
6) Check that /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 exists before trying to change
	its attributes or delete it. (Prevents two warning messages)
7) Remove the /tmp/.X11-unix directory in the startxwin.sh script
	to prevent the permission warning.

Hopefully this will cut down on the number of questions regarding the
startup scripts.