How to disable x-server shutdown with ALT-F4

Alexander Gottwald Alexander.Gottwald@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sat Aug 4 04:22:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> > When I added Alt+F4 trapping I figured that it would be much better to
> > abstract the key trapping in such a manner that the user could
> > enable/disable default Windows key-combos, or assign them to different
> > combos.  Alas, I never got around to doing that, as I hardly use
> > Cygwin/XFree86 on a daily basis, so I never felt the need to implement the
> > feature in question.
> >
> > I'll give input on any questions related to the feature if someone else
> > works on implementing it; however, I do not intend to directly work on
> > implementing this feature.  I will add it to the To-Do List if someone does
> > not claim it soon.
>
> I will check it out the next days.

Ok, here it is.

It's miles away from the clean solution to enable configuration which key
is passed to X and which is used in the server, but this one at least works.

I've added 4 new options
 -winkill, -nowinkill, -unixkill and -nounixkill (sorry about those stupid
  names, but I found no better)

winkill means killing XWin by Alt+F4
unixkill means killing XWin by Ctrl+Alt+Backspace (the Xfree for linux way)

the default is the current behaviour (Alt+F4 kills, Ctrl+Alt+Backspace does
nothing).

You can also enable all two keys or disable both.

BTW: I don'texpect the clean, full configurable solution is needed. Currently
we use just a few keys for XWin internals and the may be switched on and off
the way I used. If someone needs better configuration, he can modify the code
and compile the modified server. This is better than building a huge framework
which is unlikely to be used very often and will likely slowdown the server.

bye
    ago
--
Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de