Spam From Japanese Brain dead Spamers

Alexander Gottwald Alexander.Gottwald@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Sun Aug 5 08:17:00 GMT 2001

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Suhaib Siddiqi wrote:

> Recently Cygwin and Cygwin-xfree ML had become a convenient target from
> JAPANESE Spammers.  Can we not simply block these idiots if the Subject line
> contains Japanese characters?

I would like to, but how make sure we do not block normal users?

Since this a english ML, we might reject all messages, that have
non-ascii characters (128-255) or set another character encoding
(koi8, jis, ibm850...) on the subject line. An english message
should not contain this. If it's set, then the message is likely
to be not readable by the most readers on the ml.

If the message is rejected, a message should be sent to the
sender since it might be regular message. The spammers often
never read responses to their spam but regular users will read
direct responses to their mail.

Please tell me if I've missed some important issues...

bye
    ago
--
Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de