Cygwin-Xfree for XDM clients

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Aug 20 06:10:00 GMT 2001

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Brian Michael Genisio wrote:

> Yes, I have done it.  It is not in a distribution, but really all you need is
> the following :
>
> - XWin.exe
> - Fonts

May be exported by linux fontserver. This will reduce the space needed on each
client.

> - a place for /tmp to be mounted to... if run off of a read-only system, like
> CDROM
> - cygwin1.dll
> - cygz.dll
> - Window Mangager twm, fvwm2, etc (not for XDM I guess)

When using XDM, the windowmanger from the linux box is used.

> - X Dlls libX11.dll libXext.dll libXmuu.dll libXpm.dll... actually, you might
> not even need these for XDM... you need them if you include a WM, like fvwm2 or
> twm
> - You might add rgb.txt
> - I added bash, and ran X with a bash script, instead of DOS batch script, and
> then sent made a bash script : bash startx.bsh
> - I added some tools for the users... xsetroot, xwininfo, xdpyinfo, xterm

These tools are all available on the linux server.

> It is really easy to do.  I put these things on a CD, and run from the CD...
> The only problem with that is that there is no /tmp dir.  So, in my script, I
> send %temp% (windows default temp space)as a command argument to the bash
> script, and then use the mount.exe to mount /tmp to %temp%.  Without a writable
> tmp space, XWin.exe will not start.

You might also export the environment via samba from your linux box.
This will save a lot of diskspace and CDs.

bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723
 phone: +49 3725 349 80 80	mobile: +49 172 7854017