speed of X server

Brian Michael Genisio genisiob@pilot.msu.edu
Tue Jul 3 09:19:00 GMT 2001

I love the Xfree distribution under windows.  Of course, because of the cygwin
layer, XFree in windows is quite a bit slower than XFree in most UNIX flavors
on the same hardware.  I was wondering why this is... to get a handle on it.

Windows, in general is slower than most Unix flavors.  That is the first
problem, but then how does cygwin slow things down?  Does it have to do with
DLLs?  For instance, the latency for an XSync (which is really just a call to
XGetInputFocus) on XFree under cygwin is much longer than in Linux on the same
machine.

Are we dealing with network handling in the cygwin layer?  Possibly the select
call is implemented slowly?  Or might this have to do with the way Windows
handles its scheduler?

I am very curious about this, so if anyone knows what it is about
cygwin/windows that makes XFree so much slower.

Long Live Open Source!!!
Brian

--
Brian Genisio