starting X server in window mode.

Harold Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Sun Jul 15 12:59:00 GMT 2001

> But he is on Windows 98 and on Windows 9x/ME we have a socket issue which
> was fixed in recent Cygwin1.dll snapshots.  Therefore I asked him to try
> that first... before you can conclude it is a MapWindowPoints.  A
> couple of
> users after installed latest Cygwin1.dll snapshot were able to use Xserver
> on 9x/ME

I just looked at the code and the
winscrinit.c/winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed () function would return FALSE
without showing or updating the window if MapWindowPoints failed.  However,
winscrinit.c/winFinishScreenInitFB () was not checking the return value from
pScreenPriv->pwinCreateBoundingWindow (), so the server continued happily on
even when the server window was never shown.  I just added a test in
winFinishScreenInitFB () on the return value of pwinCreateBoundingWindow ()
that will return FALSE if pwinCreateBoundingWindow () fails.

Pretty much nothing was going to happen if the server window is never
displayed, so my assumption was correct that MapWindowPoints failing could
be the root of the problem.

Now, I have no idea why MapWindowPoints is failing.  However, the issue is
obviously isolated to Win32 API functions and their proper call order, with
no involvement from cygwin1.dll.