/usr/X11R6/bin/libz.dll vs. /usr/bin/cygz.dll

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 27 14:45:00 GMT 2001

>> > Ermmmm....it looks like libz.dll has crept back into the
>> cygwin-xfree builds.  Was this deliberate (if so, why? didn't
>> we hash this out a while back?) or was it an oversight?
>> > --Chuck

>> Could it not be a left over from previous installation on your system?

Bingo!  My tarball seems to be circa 4.0.3.  The 4.1.0 tarball does not
contain libz.dll  Sorry -- when Ralf said this:

 > 2) I have seen, that the xfree distribution contains a libz.dll too.
Why don't
 > use
 > the cygwin dll "cygz.dll".
 > Which zlib I should use, from the cygwin or from the x11 release ??

I assumed that there had been a reversion.  (I did check my tarball,
which I *thought* I had recently updated.  It does contain libz.dll --
but it was NOT recent.)

In the 4.1.0 binary tarball, there is no libz.dll, AND the programs
which depend on zlib are indeed linked to cygz.dll.  These are:
bdftopcf
lbxproxy
mkfontdir

According to objdump, none of the dlls in the Xbin.tgz from 4.1.0 depend
on any zlib library.  So we're "safe" there.

Sorry for the confusion.  My mistake.

--Chuck