Copyright [cgf, please comment]

Suhaib Siddiqi ssiddiqi@inspirepharm.com
Fri Jun 1 12:11:00 GMT 2001

What is it from your FAQ?  read carefully is not paraphrasing from cuyrrent
FAQ the general part
contributed by others

1.3. What is the X Window System?

[ScheiflerGettys92]

The X Window System, or X, is a network-transparent window system. With X,
multiple applications can run simultaneously in windows, generating text and
graphics in monochrome or color on a bitmap display. Network transparency
means that application programs can run on machines scattered through the
network.

1.4. What is XFree86?

XFree86, in the words of the XFree86 homepage, is "a freely redistributable
open-source implementation of the X Window System that runs on UNIX(R) and
UNIX-like (like Linux, the BSDs, Mac OS X (aka Darwin) and Solaris x86
series) operating systems and OS/2."

1.5. What is an X Server?

An X Server is a program that provides display and user input services to
other programs. In comparision, a file server provides other programs with
access to file storage devices. File servers are typically located in a
remote location and you use the services of a file server from the machine
that you are located at. In contrast, an X Server is typically running on
the machine that you are located at; display and user input services may be
requested by programs running on your machine, as well as by programs
running on remote machines.

1.6. What is an X client?

An X client is a program that utilizes the display and user input services
provided by an X Server. X clients may run on the same or disparate machine
as the X Server that is providing display and user input services.

1.7. Why port XFree86 to Microsoft Windows?

Porting XFree86 to Microsoft Windows benefits many people and projects in
many ways:

Prior to Cygwin/XFree86 only commerical, closed source X Servers were
available for Microsoft Windows.

An X Server on Windows may be used to display the output of programs running
on remote UNIX machines.

Cygwin/XFree86, in conjunction with Cygwin, provides a complete
compatibility layer for compiling and running UNIX applications on Windows.

1.8. Is there a Cygwin/XFree86 newsgroup?

No, Cygwin/XFree86 does not have a newsgroup; however, we do have a mailing
list. See Q: 1.9.

1.9. Is there a Cygwin/XFree86 mailing list?

as well as to read and search an online archive of the mailing list traffic.

Tip: Post your X-related inquires to cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com only; do not
Cygwin's mailing list is only for Cygwin API related inquires that are not
handled by another more-specific list.

2. Licenses, Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights