Xclients don't work in win2K

Jason Day jasonday@mediaone.net
Fri Jun 8 13:54:00 GMT 2001

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 03:28:56PM -0400, Harold Hunt wrote:
> Jason,
>
> Could you please give Test29 a shot to see if it exhibits the same behavior?
>
> http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/shadow/

Same results:
-----
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin>startxwin
Path not found - C:\cygwin\tmp\.X11-unix

C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin>xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0
twm:  unable to open display "127.0.0.1:0.0"
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Windows NT/2000
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Allowing PrimaryDD
winDetectSupportedEngines () - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines () - Returning, supported engines 0000000f
winSetEngine () - Using user's preference: 4
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL () - Using Windows display depth of 16 bits per
pix
el
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed () - WindowClient width 1024 height 768
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Masks 0000f800 000007e0 0000001f BPRGB 6 d 16
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL () - Returning
winFinishScreenInitFB () - Calling winCreateDefColormap ()
winCreateDefColormap () - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing
from li
st!
-----

At this point, however, the server is running, and I can telnet to one of
our Solaris boxes, set the DISPLAY to the ip of my box, open an xterm, and
the xterm pops up in my server.  It's just local clients that don't work.

I haven't tried running local clients on a remote display, but that
apparently doesn't work either:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2001-q2/msg02046.html

Jason

> Thanks,