How to copy&paste?

Ingolf Markhof im@de.uu.net
Thu Nov 15 02:02:00 GMT 2001

Hi!

How can I do copy and paste with the mouse?

In a cygwin window, I can mark (and thus copy) text with the left mouse
button and paste the marked text by pressing the right mouse button.

But when I start xfree86 (by 'startx'), I can't copy&paste in xterms
this way.

Checking the FAQ/Mailing list archive, I found some hints regarding
how to simulate a three button mouse by pressing both buttons of
a two button mouse at the same time. While this might be a way to
to do it, I'd prefer to copy&paste in xterms the same way I do it in
cygwin windows, i.e. paste by pressing the right button only.

Any hints to get this working?

Please resond to my email address, because I am not subscribing to the
mailing list. Or do I need to subscribe? My impression was 'no', because
as a newbie, I could not answer questions sent by other people like me...

BTW:

Installation of cygwin was easy.

Getting xfree to run was a litte bit tricky. When started with startx
(yes, I copied the '.xinitrc'...), I saw the X Desktop for some seconds
before X11 quit. - I found that a simple 'xhost +' in my ~/.xinitrc
solved the problem.

And: I spend _some_ time to find out how to get a german keybord map...
A few lines like this

# Sampe how to get non-US kepmaps, remove the # and change country id
# as required. The example is for a german map:

# setxkbmap de

in the .xinitrc template would save a lot of time for many people...

Regards.
Ingolf