[ANNOUNCEMENT] xwinclip Test 01 (Cygwin/XFree86 andWindowscli pboard integration)

Bang, Steinar Steinar.bang@tandbergtv.com
Tue Sep 4 06:59:00 GMT 2001

Pavel Rybnicek wrote:

> What exactly do you mean with "cygwin-xfree
> session  controlled by a display manager"?

A cygwin-xfree server started with "-query".

I just run
	C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe -screen 0 1024 768 -query
172.21.206.140
from a desktop shortcut.  This works nicely,
and I don't have to worry about a .bat file
hanging around.

When do startxwin.bat terminate?  I've never
quite understood how .bat files work.

The old UNIX startx scripts worked in that
the script didn't terminate until the last
program started (in the foreground) had
terminated, and when this program terminated
the X server session was terminated as well.

>From what I can see startxwin.bat doesn't seem
to work this way.  I assume that programs
started with "start" are run in the background?

Does this mean that the .bat script terminates
when finished, and doesn't hang around cluttering
up the system?

> I use cygwin-xfree to connect to remote unix
> machine. And I use the xwinclip with this.
> Yes, I simply wrote both command to .bat file.

How do they communicate with each other?
Is there an environment setting of the DISPLAY
variable, same as in startxwin.bat?

I guess I could try something like this, but
then there is the problem you've run into,
that the x server doesn't terminate... hm...

This email, its content and any attachments is PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL to
TANDBERG Television. If received in error please notify the sender and
destroy the original message and attachments.