white screen after playing half life

Matthew Luckie kluckie@ihug.co.nz
Tue Sep 25 22:07:00 GMT 2001

Hi there

I have a grunty machine that I use to do remote X with.
Periodically i play counterstrike and leave most other applications open as
there is no reason to close them.

When i come back from playing counter-strike the Cgywin/XFree86 screen is
all white and I cannot get the display to come back.  I have to close the
window and log back into X.

I am using win2k sp2 with a pci tnt2 pro.  i have the latest drivers from
nvidia installed (21.81), and directx 8.0a.  the display is set to
1024x768x16.  i play counterstrike opengl 1024x768.

I had a brief look through the list and found this message here
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2001-q3/msg00518.html

I start XWin.exe with the following command line from within windows.
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe -screen 0 1024x740 -from spandex -query
lycra -once -emulate3buttons -nowinkill -nounixkill

Any ideas?  (I run 1024x740 so that i can get the X window and the start
menu in one screen).

Matthew