XDMCP and Redhat 7.2

Matthew Bradford mbradford@bahaigear.com
Fri Apr 12 03:26:00 GMT 2002

I am having quite a time trying to get cygwin-xfree to log into my redhat
7.2 server via XDMCP.  I have read (and reread) a couple of howto's on the
subject and so AFAIK all the config files are set properly.  (and yes, I
have restarted kdm and even the whole server just to be absolutely sure)  So
here are the details of the problem:

command used to launch xfree:
XWin.exe -ac -query 192.168.0.11

and after running top at a high refresh speed on the server and trying to
start X on my winXP box I see that kdm starts and then it times out
eventually.  I can connect to this server with another Linux box via XDMCP
with no problems so I am at a loss as to what could be going on.

Oh, as for versions of everything:
Client:
    WinXP
    Latest CygWin (just downloaded it today as a fresh install)
    Latest CygWin-XFree (4.2.0)

Server:
    RedHat 7.2
    KDE 3.0
    running KDM (whatever would come with RedHat 7.2 or KDE 3.. not sure if
it is attached to KDE or not)

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA
    Matt