Problems installing cygwin-xfree86 on a Dell WIN2K box

Dr. Lawrence W. Spradley lws@hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 12 07:16:00 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold Hunt" <huntharo@msu.edu>
To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Cc: <lws@HiWAAY.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 11:46 AM
Subject: RE: Problems installing cygwin-xfree86 on a Dell WIN2K box

Harold:

    Thanks for your response. I was, in fact, following those directions
verbatim, on that very web page, when the Xinstall.sh script exited with an
error meassage saying that the extract command wasn't working properly &
admonishing me to fix that & try again. I had just downloaded the entire
XFree86 package Wednesday A.M. from ftp.nas.nasa.gov using the ftp command
from the cygwin bash shell command line ("mget *" from the
.../xfree/4.2.0/binaries directory). This download included the extract
command which I believe Xinstall.sh tried to use to unpack everything (after
I copied it to the /bin directory from the bash command line). I guess my
question is "what do I need to do to 'fix' the extract command & try again"
? Would the regular tar command downloaded earlier & included w/ the basic
cygwin package work ? Thanks in advance.