Best place for WindowMaker, Openbox, etc.?

Sam Edge sam_edgeZZZ@hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 07:43:00 GMT 2002

Christopher Faylor wrote in <20020430141215.GA11819@redhat.com>
in gmane.os.cygwin.xfree on Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:12:15 -0400:

> >>Other things that can use X such as rxvt and WindowMaker aren't part of
> >>XFree86 itself.  In my opinion they should have their own directories
> >>and perhaps a new category such as "Xapps."
> >
> >I think a category of Xmanagers for WindowMaker and Openbox etc.  would
> >be better.
>
> We are not talking about categories.  The question was where to physically
> put the actual tar balls.

The categories could be discussed as well. ;-) I'm not sure we need a
distinction between window managers and other applications in terms of
categories. They all just need an X server - pretty much any X server
- although some do rely on certain parts of the XFree86 distribution
on the machine where they're executing. (Where this is the case they
should have dependencies in setup.hint/setup.ini of course.)

--
Sam Edge