Thought on /tmp/XWin.log

Harold Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Mon Apr 1 10:46:00 GMT 2002

James,

The discussion of why we went to /tmp/XWin.log is in the mailing list
archives.  The reason was primarily that we wanted to make XWin.exe a GUI
application instead of a command-line application... this is necessary to
quiet the thousands of questions of "why does XWin.exe open a command prompt
window when I run it?".

There are difficulties in improving the log file system as we don't know
what screen numbers will be used when we create the log file.  We could send
initial messages to XWin.log, then redirect each screen to
XWin-screenXX.log, but can you imagine having to tell users "Okay, if you
have a problem that occurs early in XWin.exe initialization then you need to
look at XWin.log... otherwise you need to look at XWin-screenXX.log where XX
is the screen that had the problem."  Yeah right, we have people that think
that a sentence that reads "don't use Winzip" means that they should use
Winzip.

Hope that clears things up,

Harold