Curious refresh rate behavior...

Harold Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Wed Apr 17 15:45:00 GMT 2002

Thomas,

Well, answer me this one question:

What refresh rates does Windows 2000 allow when you set the Windows color
depth to 8 bits?

If the answer is that Windows only allows a 60 Hz refresh rate then you have
found that your driver only supports a 60 Hz refresh rate when in 8 bit
mode.  If Windows allows higher refresh rates in 8 bit mode then you have
found that DirectDraw )or the DirectDraw drivers for your video card) does
not allow a refresh rate higher than 60 Hz.  I would believe either of these
scenarios, as moving 8 bit colors to the screen requires a table lookup for
each pixel to find the associated rgb triple for that pixel.  I have no idea
how much overhead, if any, that that involves.

When you run with 'XWin -engine 1 -fullscreen -depth ?', the '-depth ?'
parameter is ignored because the GDI engine just opens a large GDI window
that covers the entire desktop.  No color depth switching takes place.  Thus
your discovery that you were actually running at 24 bits per pixel.

May I suggest that, if you can set Windows to a display depth of 8 bits with
a refresh rate of 75 Hz that you simply do this before and while running
XWin and switch back afterwards?  I really don't think there is anything
that we can do to help you other than this, as DirectDraw is simply not
allowing a 75 Hz refresh rate at 8 bits per pixel.

Hope that helps,

Harold