QT2 ready for ITP?

Ralf Habacker Ralf.Habacker@freenet.de
Thu Aug 1 00:27:00 GMT 2002

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 07:51:08AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> >
> >--- Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Are there any licensing issues with qt?  Is the open source license
> >> compliant
> >> with cygwin's?
> >>
> >> http://cygwin.com/licensing.html
> >>

> >Ghostscript's license [The aladdin license (APFL?)] is much more
> >restrictive than the QPL.
>
> If we are not in compliance with Ghostscript then that is a problem.  It
> is entirely separate from whether qt is compatible with the GPL +
> Cygwin.  If you were aware of issues with ghostcript you should have
> raised them.
>
> >Besides when you compile QT, you'll get a screen which shows how the
> >QPL is mutually inclusive of the GPL.
>
> So, if I show you a screen which says it's exclusive of the GPL, you'll
> just give up?
>
> Since I don't accept the word of every person with a web site out there
> who thinks they are compliant with the GPL, I don't see why I should accept
> the words of a screen.  Is there an independent corroboration of this
> anywhere?

This may not be an independent corroboration for you, but what Nicholas means is
the screen below, which is printed before configuring qt and it said that one
can choose the license beetwen qpl or GPL. It tells its own tale.

~/src/cvs.kde-cygwin.sf.net/qt-2
$ cygwin/configure.cygwin

This is the Qt Free Edition.

You are licensed to use this software under the terms of either
the Q Public License (QPL) or the GNU General Public License (GPL).

Type 'Q' to view the Q Public License.
Type 'G' to view the GNU General Public License.
Type 'yes' to accept this license offer.
Type 'no' to decline this license offer.

Do you accept the terms of the license?

Ralf