Problem with running X apps

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Mon Aug 5 19:25:00 GMT 2002

Seems to me that on a reasonably fast LAN any slow down is going to be a
function of the CPU "horsepower" at either end of the pipe, not the LAN
bandwidth, since it's the processer which is doing the {de|en}cryption.

On the other hand, a narrow band connection (like 56k dialup) might actually
benefit from the encyption (that is, if my assumption that encyption also
compresses the packets is correct).

I observe in my office what I think is a "moderate" slowdown when using an
ssh connection vs. an unencrypted connection.  (For the record I run
Cygwin/XFree on my Thinkpad w/ a 700MHz Pentium III, 256MB SDRAM, and
Windows 2000; and connect to my RS/6000 Model 44P-170 w/ a 333MHZ POWER3
processor, 2GB SDRAM, and AIX4.3 over 100BaseT full-duplex Ethernet.)

Since I'm behind a corporate firewall, I'm not particularly concerned about
who is looking at my X traffic, or what they might see, so I don't bother
with ssh.