xwinclip re selection polling

Jehan nahor@bravobrava.com
Fri Aug 30 03:49:00 GMT 2002

Jehan wrote:
> Chris Twiner wrote:
>
>> Just of out interest did you try the changed version?  I'm quite
>> interested to know if it works properly on other machines.
>

> No I haven't. I rarely use XFree actually. I use it only when I have to
> update some packages on our Linux servers.
> But if I remember, I'll try to give it a quick try tonight.

Chris,

A really quick test worked on my machine (WinXP Dual-Athlon). Just a few
glitches:

- kill_xclip_hook.exe doesn't do anything for me. I have to use
kill_xwinclip to really remove the hook, even if xwinclip is already dead.
- We really need to find away to automatically remove the hook without
having to use kill_xwinclip (or find a way to automatically call this
app). It took me a few minutes to remember what you said in your
previous mail and what I compiled before I thought about using this
program. Could xwinclip do the same thing than kill_xwinclip before
registring itself?
- XWinclip doesn't copy what is already in the windows clipboard when it
starts.
- I don't know if it can be done but when XWin gets activated, the
selection should not disappears if the Windows clipboard didn't change.
I mean: if you select something in X, activate a Windows application,
then activate XWin, the selection disappear, it shouldn't.

That said, a thought came to me (yep, another wild guess :p). When I
select something in X, I can paste it as many time I want without having
the selection disappearing. Is it because when I "middle-click" X fake
the paste by sending the keystrokes matching what is in the clipboard or
is it because reading the content of the clipboard doesn't change the
selection? IOW, am I correct to assume that the selection disappear when
an application "take ownership" and that "taking ownership" mean that
when a process ask for the clipboard content, we will be the one asked
to send it? If my guess is correct, why not "take ownership" only if the
Windows clipboard changed and differs from the current X clipboard?...
Or was because xwinclip was losing the ownership that it knew that the
selection changed?

Last Chris, you may want to look at the WM_DRAWCLIPBOARD Windows event.
Using this feature would allow to handle Windows applications that
change the clipboard by themselves (ie without user intervention). I
don't know any but I'm not omniscient.

	Jehan