8 bit PseudoColor problem

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Mon Dec 9 09:41:00 GMT 2002

>From: Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu>
>To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
>Subject: Re: 8 bit PseudoColor problem
>Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 04:28:39 -0500
>
>Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>>I wouldn't say that PseudoColor support is sketchy.  I mean, it works fine
>>either in fullscreen or if you are running Windows in 8 bit color mode.
>>Granted, PseudoColor is not available when you are running in windowed
>>mode
>>with Windows set at higher than 8 bit color.
>
>Correct.
>
>>Are you telling me that Cadence still does not work with Cygwin/XFree86
>>even
>>when you are using one of the two options outlined above?  That would be
>>disappointing because I did put a lot of time into the PseudoColor support
>>and I was pretty certain that it was working properly.  Hmm...
>
>Well, it's also the fact that *cadence* uses PsuedoColor poorly.  It wants
>a private colormap, which means lots of fun colorflashing, unless you have
>support for multiple 256color psuedocolor maps within the same display.
>AFAIK, only Solaris's Xserver actually implements this.
>
>Now, Cadence is ALSO ugly when hosted by XWin32.  *But*, because Xwin32
>supports multiple windows, the ugliness only affects cadence, and not any
>other windows you might have open.  In my case, if I'm using an Xserver in
>"full screen" mode, then I tend to open up xterms and other windows inside
>it -- which means they all get affected by the 8bit colorflashing.
>
>OTOH, if I'm Xhosting an app using an Xserver that supports multiple
>windows, then I open up cygwin rxvt (native) rxvt windows, and native
>windows editors, etc.  And only cadence is affected by the 8bit issue -- so
>it's tolerable.
>
>As I said, it has been a long time since I've tried it using the
>cygwin-xfree server, but that's my recollection.
>
>--Chuck

If you don't like the color flashing, perhaps you could mitigate it by
running 2 instances of XWin on 2 different screen numbers?  If you shift the
Windows desktop into 8-bit color mode and run both instances of XWin in
rootless mode, you'd hardly know that you were running 2 different servers
(except you'll have to take care to get the DISPLAY variable set just
right).

Just my $0.02.