new runtime pseudo-reloc in cygwin 1.3.18

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Tue Dec 31 09:35:00 GMT 2002

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
>>So I don't even know where _XtInherit is called and whats different with the
>>relocation.
>

> gdb revealed:
>
> Dll1 (libXt) defines void _XtInherit(). Dll2 (libXaw) uses _XtInherit and
> passes it to a function in libXt which does
> if (x == _XtInherit) { foo() };
>
> Unfortunatly it is not the same if _XtInherit is used in libXt or libXaw.
> the statement x = _XtInherit for example resulted in
> x = 0xb38478 for libXt and
> x = 0x641550 for libXaw. And thats why the if condition failed.

I seem to remember that pointer comparisons across a DLL boundary is a
Bad Thing; relocations and such.  But I don't remember where I saw that
-- MSDN or ld docs, and I can't find it now. :-(

--Chuck