startxwin.bat - errors after that

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Fri Dec 20 16:22:00 GMT 2002

>From: "Konstantin N. Kudin" <kostya@rice.edu>
>To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
>Subject: startxwin.bat - errors after that
>Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:22:04 -0600 (CST)
>
>  Hello all,
>
>  I've tried to upgrade Cygwin and started to run into problems when
>starting X via startxwin.bat Once it is started and I get the X windows
>and an xterm, I tried to open another xterm by typing >xterm &
>However, it gives the followling error message that I have not seen
>before:
>
>       7 [main] xterm 1772 sync_with_child: child 1808(0x48C) died before
>initialization with status code 0x80
>    4484 [main] xterm 1772 sync_with_child: *** child state child loading
>dlls
>xterm: Error 29, errno 11: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
>  Earlier versions of Cygwin/Xfree worked fine. Thinking that the
>installation packages might have gotten corrupted, I did a clean download
>and reinstall. This did not change a thing, I still get the same error
>message. The system is W2k with SP2. It is weird that Cygwin did not
>create my user name during the initialization so I had to edit the
>/etc/passwd file to put it there. Also I changed my default shell to
>/usr/bin/tcsh. This is probably irrelevant however.

Just a shot in the dark here.  Do a search on your system for the file
"cygwin1.dll".  Make sure there is only one, and that it's in the cygwin
tree (c:\cygwin\usr\bin\cygwin1.dll by default).

>  The startx command still seem to work fine. I would like to pass some
>options to XWin as I did before with the startxwin.bat file, however, I am
>not sure how to do this via startx.
>
>  Any suggestions/help is appreciated!
>
>  Regards,
>  Konstantin

Running "man startx" from a bash prompt tells you everything you could ever
want to know about startx.  In short, to pass parameters to the XServer, use
this syntax "startx -- -serverparm".  For example:

  startx -- -rootless

tells startx to tell XWin to start in rootless mode.