new runtime pseudo-reloc in cygwin 1.3.18

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sat Dec 28 03:41:00 GMT 2002

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> Alan Hourihane wrote:
>

>>I'm about to commit a patch to the XFree86 CVS that uses the new relocation
>>code in cygwin 1.3.18. This allows us to create the last few libraries
>>as shared code.
>

> How will this affect people with cygwin <1.3.18?

It won't affect them (adversely).  All that matters is that the
developer's system has cygwin >= 1.3.18 (and "developer" also means
anyone who is attempting to *compile* an X-based program, not just those
who are compiling XFree86 itself).

E.g. pure "users" who don't compile anything, will be fine.  They can
run the new binaries.

--enable-pseudo-reloc tells the linker "don't worry about multi-word
data imports; the runtime will fix them up".  And, the "runtime" is
actually a snippet of *static* code that gets linked into the dll/exe --
this static code is included in libcygwin1.a.  Since it's static (e.g.
not in cygwin1.dll), every compiled program/dll that needs it will have
its very own copy; it doesn't matter if the user has an old version of
cygwin1.dll.

--Chuck