xwinclip authorisation problem with remote hosts using XDMCP

Matthew Donald matthew.donald@motile.net
Mon Jan 14 11:00:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

There is a problem when using xwinclip with an X server which connects to a
remote host using XDMCP.

Basically the sequence is this:

1.  Execute "XWin :0 -query some.host.system".  Initially, the authorisation
file contains no records, so the localhost
has access to the X server by default.  I quote from the Xserver man page:

    If this file contains  any  authorization  records,  the
    local  host  is  not  automatically  allowed access to the server, and
only clients
    which send one of the authorization records contained in the file in the
connection
    setup  information  will be allowed access.

2.  XDMCP is used to query some.host.system, which then opens a connection
to the local PC.  The first
thing done is that XDMCP adds an auth record for some.host.system  This
means that localhost loses access
to the X server.

3.  After XWin starts, xwinclip executes on the local host.  It fails with
the error message: "Could not open display"

Ok, so I added an xhost command, to explicitly allow access:

    xhost +127.0.0.1

I failed with the error messages:

    Xlib: connection to "127.0.0.1:0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

I read some more about host access, and I created a /etc/X0.hosts file, and
I deleted the .Xauthority file.
This caused a different error.  XWin failed with the message: "X connection
to 127.0.0.1:3.0 broken
(explicit kill or server shutdown)."

I tried running XWin with the '-ac' command line parameter.  This is meant
to open access to all hosts.
Xwinclip still couldn't open the display.

If XWin is used with a local window manager, this xwinclip (and any other
client program which runs on the PC)
will run sucessfully.  However, if XDMCP is used to connect to another
system, then it fails.

I'm completely stuck.  Any help would be very appreciated.

regards Matthew