New xlauncher (was: Re: Success with Java prog in XFree)

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sun Jul 7 10:44:00 GMT 2002

Harold Hunt wrote:

> I haven't had any comments on this program yet because, while it is a neat
> exercise and will be useful for other work, it will not be distributed with
> Cygwin/XFree86 until it is written in a language that can be compiled with a
> free software compiler, preferrably gcc or g++.

That's a bit harsh.  If you're following the main list, you'll note that
there is a large effort right now to get libgcj and the java extensions
to gcc working, in the default cygwin gcc package.

If you can compile java code with cygwin's gcc, then java progs should
be just dandy.

Of course, your java app must not rely on opaque native methods (e.g.
the Java Foundation Crap^WClasses from MS)

--Chuck