Problem with cygwin1.dll and xfree

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 8 12:22:00 GMT 2002

Harold L Hunt wrote:

> Hey, go easy on yourself.  Most users like to argue with us about how they
> don't have a second copy of cygwin1.dll on their system.  After a few rounds
> they end up finally doing the search and, lo!, they find a second copy of
> cygwin1.dll.  You should be commended for not arguing and instead doing the

What I'd like to know, is how all of these users ended up with
cygwin1.dll in /system in the first place.  They all claim that they
didn't do it themselves; or perhaps they did do it themselves,
"following instructions a long time ago" [strange that the bug only
cropped up "now" ] -- but who is telling people to do this?

Is there some program out there that uses cygwin, and installs
cygwin1.dll into /system?  Is there some website out there that tells
people to do this?  Can we hunt them down and flame them with vigour?

--Chuck