Help with fixing x2x...

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Tue Jul 23 19:16:00 GMT 2002

I recently discovered that when I run x2x, the Win2k Task Manager reports
that it's using 90-99% of the CPU.

While I have not noticed a slow down in performance when it's running, I'd
like to fix it if I can.  I've poked around in the source and I don't like
the looks of the main loop:

  while (True) { /* FOREVER */
    if (fromPending = XPending(fromDpy))
      if (ProcessEvent(fromDpy, &dpyInfo)) /* done! */
	break;

    if (XPending(toDpy)) {
      if (ProcessEvent(toDpy, &dpyInfo)) /* done! */
	break;
    } else if (!fromPending) {
      FD_ZERO(fdset);
      FD_SET(fromConn, fdset);
      FD_SET(toConn, fdset);
      select(nfds, fdset, NULL, NULL, NULL);
    }

It would appear to me that this constant polling for an event to process is
what's eating up the CPU cycles.

Not being an X programmer, I'm hoping someone monitoring the list can
suggest a way to modify this loop to be less of a CPU hog.

Thanks.