problems with XFree

Jehan nahor@bravobrava.com
Wed Jul 24 23:17:00 GMT 2002

Harold Hunt wrote:
> Jehan,
>
> Excellent summarization of the thread regarding how we can add
> /usr/X11R6/bin to the path.
>
> Looks like we had Dave Cook and Robert Collins discussing the best way to do
> things but then the thread died.
>
> I don't really think that I know how to implement the best solution here, so
> I will just have to leave this up to others.

Here is an attempt to add the path into /etc/profile using a
post-install script.
I first try to see if /etc/profile already sets the X path for people
who have customized it. So I grep for something of the form
	PATH=..../usr/X11R6/bin....

If I find such a line then I do nothing.
If the line isn't here, I create a new /etc/profile with the lines:
	if ! echo $PATH | /bin/grep -q "/usr/X11R6/bin" ; then
  	  PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"
  	fi
at the top of the file, as suggested in the old thread.
Just to be safe, the old profile is renamed /etc/profile.old.

	Jehan