problems with xfree

Harold L Hunt II huntharo@msu.edu
Thu Jul 25 16:27:00 GMT 2002

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 04:47:39PM -0400, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>>Let me see if I understand what is going on here:
>>
>>We are debeating whether to:
>>
>>1) Modify /etc/profile, which is not installed via a package, but is
>>created directly by setup.exe.
>>
>>2) Add two scripts, one for bash-style shells and one for c-shell-style
>>shells to /etc/profile.d/.  These scripts are processed by
>>/etc/profile.  We would add this new scripts to an XFree86 package,
>>probably XFree86-bin, and we would install these scripts via a
>>post-install script if they were not already present (so we do not
>>overwrite modifications).
>>
>>Of all the arguments for/against the two methods, so far only one seems
>>to be a sticking point that essentially decides how we will do this:
>>
>> There is no guarantee that the sub-script in /etc/profile.d/ that
>>adds /usr/X11R6/bin to the path will be executed before some other shell
>>script, that may be added at a later date to /etc/profile.d/, that
>>requires that the path to the X11R6 binaries already be set.  In order
>>to allow other scripts in /etc/profile.d/ to assume that the path to the
>>X11R6 binaries is known, we must set the path to the binaries in
>>/etc/profile before the /etc/profile.d/ scripts are processed.
>

> I don't know what this "other" script in /etc/profile.d might be, but
> if it is a problem for the "other" script, it could easily include
> /etc/profile.d/add_x11_path (or whatever) to add the script to ensure
> that the path was properly set.
>
> So, I think that adding an appropriate file to /etc/profile.d makes
> more sense.  Then people who don't have /usr/bin/X11R6 don't have
> a spurious check for the directory in their /etc/profile.
>
> cgf

That sounds even more reasonable.  No one has suggested that yet.

One question though... are there any known packages that put a script in
/etc/profile.d/ that expect the path to the X11R6 binaries to already be
set, but that do not include some X11R6 path-setting script?  We would
have to modify any such scripts, if we ever encounter them, to include
our X11R6 path-setting script.  That doesn't seem like a horrible trade-off.

Okay, go with the new scripts in /etc/profile.d/.

Jehan - you sent in these scripts before, right?  Could you send them
again?  Thanks.