Unresolved reference in a cygwin/xfree86 library

Claudio Beccari beccari@polito.it
Fri Jul 26 12:20:00 GMT 2002

I tried to install LyX on a laptop that has a US keyboard; I had to
download and install cygwin and Xfree86 plus customize for my terminal.
Everyting OK; Installed LyX; everything OK except for one point.

For writing in Italian I need the grave accent (the acute is comparatively
rarer and it works fine) and I want ot set it up the same as in MSWord (and
SciWord, apparently); I customize the cua.bind LyX binding file in order to
have accents configured as a <Ctrl>-accent combination followed by the
suitable vowel. Things work fine for ', ~, and ^; they dont work with " and
`. I can do without the umlaut, but I can't do without the grave accent.

I read and reread the LyX documentation; it suggests to configure the
keyboard key by means of  xmodmap and xkeycaps; xmodmap is part of
cygwin/xfree86 distribution (the latest distribution downlaoaded -- for the
n-th time -- on 25 july 2002) and apparently indicate that my laptop
keyboard is correctly identified and installed. Nevertheless since things
don't work as expected, I have the curiosity of installing xkeycaps; I
downloaded it from its home site (www.jwz.org) and followed the whole
procedure for the installation which implies using xmkmf, make, and so on;
the former works fine, the latter stops with a linker error on the very
last step, where it say that it found and unresolved reference
XpmReadFileToPixmap in a module deriving from the compilation of pixmap.c
in library /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.a.

I suppose that libXaw.a has a little glitch, but may be it's only my
installation.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Claudio