Slashdotting

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Sun Jul 7 12:06:00 GMT 2002

Harold Hunt wrote:

> We have been Slashdotted, with a post that mentions that we are now easily
> installable via Cygwin's setup.exe:

-------

And here's a comment on setup.exe:

"Beats the crud outa MSI packages, if just for how well it keeps the
user informed of what is going on."

Way to go, Robert (and others)!  (In fairness, there were a few
dissenting opinions about setup... <g>)

-------

Hey, cool! This is the first time I've seen the -engine switches
actually defined!  Thanks, Harold:

Your problem with NetMeeting is that NetMeeting and Cygwin/XFree86 are
both using DirectDraw. Apparently only one application is allowed to use
a certain feature of DirectDraw at a time. By default Cygwin/XFree86 is
using the DirectDraw Non-Locking engine, which you could specify with
`-engine 4'; non-locking means that we call malloc () ourselves for the
offscreen framebuffer, rather than letting DirectDraw allocate the
memory for us. You can try passing `-engine 2' for DirectDraw with
DirectDraw allocated surface memory, or `-engine 1' which uses GDI DIBs
with no DirectDraw at all.

--------