Bug in startxwin.bat after installing with setup.exe in win98SE

Jehan nahor@bravobrava.com
Fri Jul 12 14:41:00 GMT 2002

Thomas Chadwick wrote:
> I hate to jump into the middle of a religious argument (which this is
> turning out to be) but it seems to me that a plausible solution would be
> to urge the maintainers of the cygwin setup program to define a
> CYGWIN_ROOT environment variable for us.  Cygwin setup is already
> putting stuff in the registry, isn't it, so why not this?
>
> You could then modify the startxwin.bat and startxwin.sh scripts such
> that they don't attempt to assign CYGWIN_ROOT if it already has a value.

First, I'm not sure that making setup.exe aware of Xfree just because of
the registry is a good idea.
As for adding an environment variable, then we could just modify the
path to add the X11 path to it. Then we could get rid of the CYGWIN_ROOT
altogether.
Last, I still think that a postinstall script to create the batch file
is better (well that was my idea, I'm not going to give up on it easily :p)

	Jehan