scripting using Xterm ssh

Thomas Chadwick j_tetazoo@hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 15:45:00 GMT 2002

I have done something similar with rsh, so I'm going to take a stab at this
given what I know about ssh.  On the Cygwin system, edit the file .xinitrc
in your home directory to look something like this (note that the
backslashes "\" indicate a continuation of a single line):

# Set the background to something nice
xsetroot -solid aquamarine

# Launch a local xterm
xterm -title "Local Xterm" &

# Use ssh to launch a remote application in an xterm
# on a remote system
ssh -X -l username_on_remote_host remote_host \
  xterm -title "Remote Xterm" \
        -e command_you_want_to_run_in_the_remote_xterm &

# Launch window manager
twm

To launch this run the command "xinit" from the Cygwin bash-prompt.  It will
start up the X server and then execute the contents of the .xinitrc file.

Note that you'll need /usr/X11R6/bin in your path as well.  You can
accomplish this by adding the following line to the file .bash_profile in
your home directory:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin

Look at the man page for ssh (using the command "man ssh") for information
on how to configure the local and remote systems so that ssh won't prompt
for a password.

Good luck.