Can't remote connect to XF86 on Win2K

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Jun 24 08:01:00 GMT 2002

On 24 Jun 2002, Nick THOMPSON wrote:

> Exactly. If I use -indirect I can't even make local connections to the X
> server - they just seem to hang.

This is the normal behaviour. After using xdmcp, you can only connect from
the remote machine.

>Becaue of this I can't do a 'xhost +'
> to allow connection from a remote process.

You can run xhost + from the remote session

>So it seems I have to get the
> cookie correct. Unfortunately, your explaination lost me a little. Do I
> have to generate a cookie,

The cookie is generated by xdm. After you logged into your linux, sunos,
or whatever unix you use, you already have the cookie in the unix session.
Try "xauth list $DISPLAY" from a shell in the unix session.

To connect from the windows host, set the cookie: "xauth add <the output of
xauth list above>"

>or should a cookie have been sent as part of the XDMCP connection?

it is created by xdm (the login manager) and only know on the remote machine
and by your xserver. None of the local xclients know this cookie and can
connect.

>Why would it work fine on Win95/98 and not Win2k?

There should be no difference between 9x and NT

bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723