Mouse dragging slow in XWin-Test56 with -emulate3buttons

Bradey Honsinger BradeyH@construx.com
Wed Jun 26 20:30:00 GMT 2002

I upgraded to Test60 and noticed that dragging the mouse to select text or
move a window had gotten very slow--I had to hold down the mouse button and
count "one thousand one" before moving it. After a bit of investigation, I
found that removing the '-emulate3buttons 500' argument from my XWin command
line made dragging work fine again. The problem was probably more pronounced
for me than for most others because my timeout was so high--the default is
50ms, and I was using 500ms.

I back-tracked through the test series and found that the behaviour started
with Test56--Test55 was fine. I'm guessing it had something to do with this
changelog entry for Test56:

  - InitOutput.c - Fix a typo that set iE3BTimeout to TRUE instead
    of the specified timeout parameter when using the 3 button
    mouse emulation timeout parameter with a single X screen.
    (Stuart Adamson)

I didn't diff the sources, but it sounds like XWin was never using the
timeout parameter to -emulate3buttons until this typo was fixed. If that's
the case, then this problem was just a latent bug in my XWin startup script,
not a problem with XWin.

In any case, even if it is a bug, I don't need a fix--I just wanted to let
anyone else who encountered the problem know what the workaround was.

- Bradey