Win95B TrackMouseEvent not in User32.dll

Harold Hunt huntharo@msu.edu
Fri Jun 28 05:59:00 GMT 2002

Carl,

> Sorry for not doing this through the mailing lists, but I don't
> subscribe and I figured you should know about this problem if
> you haven't heard from others on this.  When I searched for
> TrackMouseEvent in the online mailing list, I did not see
> reference to this recent problem.

list, you can alternatively read through the archives and post from your
normal email account with a note that we should cc you on replies.  The list
is not restricted to posting by members.

> The XWIN.EXE file is linked to missing export
> USR32.DLL:TrackMouseEvent.

Second: Thanks for the bug report.  I should actually have been calling
_TrackMouseEvent from comctl32.dll, which calls TrackMouseEvent in
user32.dll if it is present, otherwise it emulates it.  _TrackMouseEvent is
available on Windows 95 with IE 3.0 or later.

This fix will be in the next Test and stable release.

Heh... I just read the rest of your message... you pointed me to the same
answer :)  Silly me...

> I realize that Win95 is a bit old now, but XFree86/Cygwin is
> advertised to work on Win95.  Unfortunately, I have a lot of
> stuff on this system, which has been inhibiting me from
> upgrading to Win98 or later.  Maybe this will force me to do
> this onerous task.  Is the plan to drop support for Win95?  Can
> I readily back-off to a version that works with Win95B via
> the Cygwin setup?

No plan to drop support for Windows 95, just a mistake.  You'll recall my
famous last words when I committed the TrackMouseEvent patch, "I don't
remember why we weren't using TrackMouseEvent before, oh well."

Harold