Cut down xfree server for XDMCP only

Ian Burrell iburrell@znark.com
Sun Jun 16 12:28:00 GMT 2002

Robert Collins wrote:

> Yes. The X install is relatively heavy. I was thinking that you can do
> the following:
> Setup your own setup.ini. In that include a package (say
> XFree86-XDMCP-minimal) for your cut-down X install, minus all the cygwin
> infrastructure. DON'T include anything with a name the same as cygwin's
> setup.ini.
> Include dependency listings that your package has on cygwin packages -
> should any exist (i.e. various font packages may be useful). Anything
> that your can't separate out usefully enough, include the content in
> your package' tarball, OR ask Harold if he is able to split the package
> out a little.

I'm sure some people with a cygwin install would be interested in a
cut-down XFree86 install with only XDMCP support.

> Then tell your users to run setup.exe, add your mirror site to the
> mirrors list, and to select an official cygwin mirror as well.
> That should be much smaller, and

If they really want a small custom install, couldn't they create a
custom setup.ini with only the cygwin packages they want. Put that on a
web site to be used instead of a cygwin mirror.

BTW, is there any way to automate setup.exe so that users don't have to
answer all the questions? setup.exe is great for flexibity with
different options for getting and selecting packages. For a school
install, the location and packages can be fixed in advanced and the
questions reduced to the minimum.

  - Ian

--
Ian Burrell